Tax News
Online Services

MyFTB Account - Individuals

We’ve made some changes to MyFTB Account to benefit you and your clients. New features include:

  • Displays zero balance tax year information
  • Advises if taxpayer has a mandatory e-pay requirement
  • Advises if we have a returned mail indicator on the taxpayer’s account (taxpayers only, not available for tax professionals.)

Also it’s been brought to our attention there is some confusion with the manner estimated tax payments are displayed. Estimated tax payments made on joint accounts are generally reflected in full for each taxpayer.

A 2010 tax return is filed by Taxpayer A and Taxpayer B using the Married/RDP Filing Jointly status. A $1,000 credit from the 2010 return is carried forward to the 2011 tax year. The June 2011 estimated tax payment of $2,000 was not submitted as a joint payment; it only had Taxpayer A’s social security number. The September estimated tax payment of $3,000 was submitted using both taxpayers’ social security numbers. MyFTB Account reflects:

Taxpayer A Type Amount Date Tax Year
Estimate Payment $3,000 09/15/11 2011
Estimate Payment $2,000 06/15/11 2011
Transfer from 2010 $1,000 04/15/11 2011

Taxpayer B Type Amount Date Tax Year
Estimate Payment $3,000 09/15/11 2011
Transfer from 2010  $1,000 04/15/11 2011

In this example, the transfer from 2010 of $1,000 and the joint estimate payment of $3,000 are reflected on each taxpayer’s MyFTB Account. Both taxpayers are legally entitled to these credits, and if the taxpayers file separately in 2011, they must decide how to divide these credits. Although both the $1,000 transfer and $3,000 estimate payment are reflected on each taxpayer’s account, the total joint credit amount available for use by either party is $4,000 and use of any of this $4,000 credit by either taxpayer will deplete the credit available to the other taxpayer. For example, if Taxpayer A and Taxpayer B file separate 2011 tax returns, and Taxpayer B reports estimate payments/credits of $4,000, the joint credits have been exhausted by Taxpayer B and the only credits available to Taxpayer A would be the $2,000 paid in June.

The estimated payment made only to Taxpayer A’s account is only available to Taxpayer A. If Taxpayer A and Taxpayer B file a joint return, total estimated tax and other payments available are $6,000. (Joint Transfer of $1,000 + Joint Estimated Payment of $3,000 + Separate Estimated Payment of $2,000.)

Use caution to correctly report the amount of estimated tax and other payments available when filing your clients’ returns since joint payments are reflected on each taxpayer’s account. Also make sure to include each taxpayer’s account information when submitting joint payments.

MyFTB Account – Business Entities

You and your clients can use MyFTB Account to view estimated tax payments online. Estimated payment information is available for corporations (including exempt organizations), Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), and partnerships. To view your client’s account you must complete a onetime registration. For more information, go to MyFTB Account for Businesses.

Web Pay - Individuals

Web Pay is FTB’s online system for making electronic payments. On January 3, 2012, we are rolling out a set of major improvements that will make Web Pay much easier to use. See the article, Major Improvements to Our Web Pay, for more details.

Web Pay – Business Entities

Web Pay is now available for corporations, partnerships, and LLCs. After a one-time registration process, businesses can make online payments, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Businesses can pay today or schedule a payment up to one year in advance. We do not charge for this service. Go to Web Pay for Businesses

If your clients use Web Pay, do not mail the paper payment vouchers. Currently, businesses cannot make real estate, resident/nonresident, or backup withholding payments through Web Pay. Use Web Pay for Individuals when making a payment for group nonresident/composite returns.

Not Registered Yet?

In order to access your client’s MyFTB Account you first need to complete a one-time registration, to create your Tax Professional account. Once you have created your account, you login and with your client’s permission, use information from a previous year’s tax return to view their MyFTB Account. You no longer need to retrieve and use your client’s Customer Service Number.

More than 230,000 customers, including 23,000 tax professionals, have registered to use this service.

Based on feedback from customers experiencing problems during registration, here are some things to remember about registration:

Username, Password, Security Questions, and Answers

  • Select your own username and password – make sure you remember them.
  • Select three Security Questions and answers – make sure you remember them.
  • We recommend that you write them down and keep them in a secure place.

Confirmation Email

  • We send you an email after registering. You have to click on the link in the
    email within 72 hours of registering. If you do not do this your account is not activated.
  • Some email providers can take several hours to deliver new emails to your inbox.
  • If you do not see the confirmation email in your inbox, check your spam folder.

Assistance Choosing a Role

  • You must choose a role when you register. You can add additional roles after you have initially created an account. You will be able to add additional roles after you have created your account. You can register for just one role or all three roles. You can register as:
    • An individual - To view your personal tax account information.
    • Business entity – If you work for a corporation, partnership, or LLC and plan to make payments on behalf of the business.
    • Tax professional - To view your clients' tax account information.

Assistance Adding a Role

  • Login to your account.
  • Select "Add another role."
  • Follow the prompts.

For additional information, see How do I add another role?

Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN)
(Tax Professional Identification Number)

  • Verify the PTIN, EFIN, CPA or CTEC number you enter during registration is correct. We found that the practitioners who experienced difficulty during registration entered the wrong professional identification number.
  • The Board of Accountancy only provides us with licensing information for CPAs who were issued their license in California. If you are a CPA in another state you will not be able to use your CPA number when registering. You will need to use a different number such as your PTIN or EFIN.

Hardware and Browsers we support

  • Handheld devices
    • We currently do not support mobile operating systems for the registration process. Mobile phones, iPads and other tablets accessing the internet using iOS, Android, or Windows Phone 7 are not supported either.
  • Older browser versions
    • Make sure your browsers and operating systems are current. See our Browsers We Support page for further information.
    • If your browser is not compatible with our system, you will need to upgrade your current version or download a different browser.

Back to January 2012 Tax News