Technical Advice Memorandums (TAM)
These documents are in Adobe’s Portable Document Format (PDF). You need Adobe Reader to view and print them.
TAMS are advice given by FTB Legal in response to a specific question from FTB Staff. The TAM response is based on the laws as of the date of the TAM and for the specific situation posed in the question(s) asked. Please note that the TAMs have not been annotated to note subsequent changes in relevant law, regulations, rulings, or procedures. To protect internal proprietary information, taxpayers’ privacy, and other information exempt from disclosure these TAMs have been redacted to prevent the disclosure of exempt information. Asterisks (*****) indicate redaction of information.
- TAM 2014-01 – TAM 2011-03 Should no longer be relied upon.
- TAM 2012-01 – Request for Technical Advice Memorandum on whether a taxpayer may properly assert the existence of substantial sales in a destination state without physical presence to establish that it is subject to taxation in that state, thereby avoiding the throwback rule under Revenue and Taxation Code section 25135.
- TAM 2011-04 – Exempt Organization Processing, Billing, Suspension and Revivor.
- TAM 2011-03 - Availability of the Other State Tax Credit for S Corporation Shareholders for the Revised Texas Franchise Tax Cost of Goods Sold Method, the Ohio Commercial Activity Tax and the Michigan Business Tax.
- TAM 2011-02 – Ordering of Dividend Distributions from Subsidiaries Partially Included in a Water's Edge Combined Report.
- TAM 2011-01 – Exclusion of Construction in Progress from the Property Factor Under Regulation 25129(b).
- TAM 2009-01 - Due Process – Mailing of Notices Bearing a Facially Invalid Address (FIA).
- TAM 2008-01 – Return Filing Requirements – Income Thresholds and Computed Tax.
- TAM 2007-03 - Analysis of Treasury Receipts After the California Supreme Court's decisions in Microsoft and General Motors.
- TAM 2007-02 - Automated Processing Rules for Look-Back Transactions.
- TAM 2007-01 - Application of Statute of Limitation Provisions to Over-Collected Amounts Received by the Franchise Tax Board Through Involuntary Collection Action.
- TAM 2006-04 - Application of the recent California Supreme Court decisions in General Motors v.
Franchise Tax Board and Microsoft v. Franchise Tax Board to determine the amount of gross
receipts derived from treasury function activities and whether the inclusion of these receipts in
the sales factor results in an unfair reflection of income.
- TAM 2006-03 -- Authorizations for Electronic Fund Transfers Made on Behalf of the Taxpayer.
- TAM 2006-02 – Clarification of California Revenue and Taxation Code Section 17742.
- TAM 2006-01 -- Reasonable Cause for Late Payment Penalties.
- TAM 2005-07 – Preparer Penalty Administrative Issues.
- TAM 2005-06 – Mandatory E-File Noncompliance Penalty – Reasonable Cause.
- TAM 2005-05 – No Refund of Estimated Tax Payments Where No Return Filed.
- TAM 2005-04 - Assessment Procedures – Wage Discrepancy.
- TAM 2005-03 – Reporting Real Estate Commissions.
- TAM 2005-02 – Review of Exempt Organization Applications Under the California Corporations Code.
- TAM 2005-01 - How Should the Audit and Legal Staff Implement the Decision of the Court of Appeal in Fujitsu IT Holdings, Inc. v. Franchise Tax Board (2004) 120 Cal.App.4th 459, Pending Consideration of Proposed Amendments to Regulation Sections 24411 and 25106.5-1?
- TAM 2003-0305 - Calculation of Shareholder Basis in an S corporation When Some Years are Closed by the Statute of Limitations.
- TAM 2004-53 - Assessment Procedures – Entities Filing Tax Exempt Returns.
- TAM 2003-0301 – Section 1905 of California Corporations Code – Taxes Paid Tax Clearance Certificates.
- No TAM Number Issued - Electronic Storage of Returns.
- TAM 2003-0108 – 1099G Proper Year.
- TAM 2003-0028 – Skilled Nursing and Intermediate Care Facility Occupants Not Eligible for HRA.
- TAM 2002-0353 – Effective Date of Overpayment.
- TAM 2002-0147 – Impact of AB 1843 on Final Taxable Year Tax Computation for Dissolving Corporations.
- TAM 2002-0138 – Minimum Franchise Tax Under R&TC Section 25153(f)(1) -- Meaning of "First Taxable Year."
- TAM 2001-0463 – Source of Income from Incentive Stock Options.
- TAM 2001-1292 – Reversal of Final Action on Claim.
- TAM 2000-0698 – Homeowners' Associations, Funds in Trust.
- TAM 2000-0658 – Is a Foreign Corporation Required to Submit an Exemption Application and Receive a Determination in Accordance with R&TC Section 23701 to be Exempt from California Franchise and Income Tax?
- TAM 2000-0344 – Retention of 2-D Barcode Returns.
- TAM 2000-0529 – HRA Disabled Minor.
- TAM 2000-0206 – Elections Out of 338 Elections.
- TAM 2000-0041 – Ordering of Incentive Tax Credits.
- TAM 2000-0373 – LLC Processing Issues.
- TAM 2000-0253 – Notice and Demand Penalty.