Chat with an FTB Representative

How can I get an extension to file?


California gives you an automatic filing extension through October 15, 2014. You don't need to apply for one. Here's what you should do if you can't file by April 15, 2014:

  • You are due a refund — File your return by October 15, 2014. Choose e-file and direct deposit for the fastest refund.
  • You have a balance due — Pay the amount you owe by April 15, 2014 to avoid penalties and interest. You can pay online, by credit card, or by check with form FTB 3519. Then file your return by October 15, 2014. Choose e-file to ensure we receive your return on time.
  • You're not sure if you have a balance due — Use the worksheet on form FTB 3519 to figure your tax.

Extension for federal returns: The process and dates for requesting a filing extension for your federal return are different. Refer to the IRS Website for information.