Chat with an FTB Representative

How does my corporation change its accounting period?

Your corporation should receive federal approval prior to receiving approval from us.

If your corporation has prior federal approval to change its accounting period or is required by federal law to change, then when you file with us, attach the following information:

  • A copy of the Federal Form 11281or 1128
  • A cover letter explaining what is being done and why.

If you are only requesting an accounting period change with the State of California, then you must send the Federal Form 11281 or 1128 along with a cover letter stating what is being done and why you are changing your accounting period to:

Franchise Tax Board
Attn: Change Of Accounting Period
P.O. Box 1998
Rancho Cordova CA 95741-1998

In most cases, you must file a short-period return when you change your accounting period.